Le Monde de L'Écriture – Forum d'entraide littéraire

26 avril 2024 à 02:57:26
Bienvenue, Invité. Merci de vous connecter ou de vous inscrire.

Le Monde de L'Écriture » Encore plus loin dans l'écriture ! » Textes non francophones » Rainbow-coloured benches

Auteur Sujet: Rainbow-coloured benches  (Lu 1344 fois)

Hors ligne andre48

• Aède
    • ajranc
Rainbow-coloured benches
« le: 09 mars 2017 à 02:00:19 »
I went to sit down on that bench whose colours were meant to appeal to children. He came closer to me, a long, black silhouette of a man walking smoothly with his cane tucked under his arm. He sat down and greeted me.
-  Hello
-  Hello, I greeted him, too.
A long silence set in between us - we were already getting to know each other. It was up to him, the newcomer, to decide whether or not we were to have a conversation. I was expecting him to make small talk about the weather or our natural surroundings, assuming that it wouldn’t come to much. But then, he said.
-  I think I might have seen you at the cemetery, last week. My name is… Albin.
-  I’m Paul.
-  Do you come here, I don’t think you need these often, Paul?
-  No, it’s the first time I’ve come here; perhaps I saw colours of this bench drew me in, and I just sat down there.
-  Maybe you weren’t aware of it, but it’s the first time I’ve ever painted a bench.
-  I must say I only half believe you Albino. Aren’t you too old to be doing that?
-  And yet, I’ve spoken the strictest truth Paul! What’s more, I’m looking for accomplice.
-  You’re an old novice at tagging, then?
-  Not really… But I can explain it all to you, if you want me to, Paul…
And he launched into a long monologue.
"I have a mission here and now. I took part in Make Music Day and the European Neighbours’ Day… These are both good social initiatives, but they only last for a day.
In some countries, I’ve been able to see how the “Buddy Bench” system helps young children socialize and prevents them from being alone and friendless. If a child lacks playmates, he just sits down on that bench. Any other child who walks past it and sees him sitting there automatically knows that he doesn’t want to be all alone. He can then invite him to play with him.
I’ve already talked about the “Buddy Bench” system, but in your so-called ‘civilized’ world, it’s far too simple; three brush strokes is all it takes. It’s neither a rightist nor a leftist idea, nor does it validate any kind of ideology or nebulous theory. Maybe this country will finally be able to get rid of all ideology, some day.
I then thought about social interactions among adults in public spaces, and I made my first-ever rainbow-painted bench ; an interplay of colours, some spots that invite tranquillity and a little magic, there you go!
People will gladly settle themselves on these benches for a friendly chat and, most importantly, to hear each other’s stories and worries. I wouldn’t go as far as to say that these benches have magical properties, but I think they can help keep slightly malevolent and even vicious people away. This way we can spare ourselves many an unpleasant surprise… 
I can see your wide eyes staring at me in disbelief. You may be thinking that you’re too old for magic, the supernatural and spells. And that these all belong to times long past. You’re no longer a child and you’re immersed in the waters of rationalism and materialism. Then why are you so moved while looking at the flames dancing in the fireplace, when seeing a rainbow getting formed in the sky or when hearing certain songs?
There are things that can be described in words and others that can’t. There’s the real world and the imaginary world. There are all those things that we think we know and all those that we know nothing about. Do you truly think that being rational is enough for a man to live or even survive?
That’s why I figured that a bench intended for people to talk to each other, where anyone could find someone willing to connect and exchange views would be really useful.
Every rainbow-coloured bench should be placed in harmonious, peaceful, tree-filled surroundings. We should create tiny bubbles of authenticity and kindness there. We should be able to voice opposite views on these benches and then leave feeling a little less lonely and isolated.
Unfortunately, not all benches can fulfil these requirements or live up to these expectations. Our job is just to make sure that they pop up, here and there… Everyone should be willing to leave when it is time, so that others can take their turn.
All the words that will have been spoken, all the feelings that will have been expressed or felt on each of these benches will make it a precious, sacred place. I won’t go as far as to say that these benches will have souls, but they will get better at having visitors, over time.
It’ll be your job to choose these benches and daub them with rainbow-coloured paint Paul. To start off the process, I’ll come and sit down on these benches myself, to help make them feel more inviting and cosy. Do you really believe that our meeting on that bench was just pure coincidence? Will you help me, Paul?"
While he was talking to me, I felt a gentle, lukewarm tingle in the back of my head. I felt lighter and totally confident. Finding a few benches and quickly daubing them with paint would be so easy.
I readily replied,
-  Sure, Albin. I’ll pick the benches while strolling around.
-  You’ll see, Paul, people will start to have conversations there, and soon enough, they won’t be able to do without them. Believe me, it will be so.
He gave me a tin of paint, while clearly asserting this.
-  That’s grey paint. But don’t worry, the colours will organize themselves as they dry. They’ll adjust according to you and your surroundings.
His last sentence perplexed me. But when I turned around, he had already vanished, as quietly as a ghost.
I had no sooner painted my fourth bench than the media reported a rainbow-coloured bench fad, clearly stating:
"That’s right. People can come, sit down on these benches and freely exchange views without hatred, intolerance or fanaticism…”
“A special atmosphere seems to be surrounding these benches. People have reported feeling strange sensations around them…"
"Some expert scientists, sociologists and psychologists have been vainly trying to understand this phenomenon…"
"This is really bizarre, indeed, many people said that they had spoken to a man dressed in black, with a cane tucked under his arm  all at the same time and in many different places at once…"
"Some researchers have got hold of a tin of grey paint, but so far, it’s been no use; whenever they’ve tried getting the paint to change colour, it has remained grey."
"This craze is spreading to every country on the planet and many a politician wishes to put a stop to all these chance meetings."
I sat down on one of those rainbow-coloured benches in a secluded place, facing a long path. I immediately felt that wonderful tingle. I only had to wait two minutes for a young man to sit down beside me.
He immediately said.
-  Hi! I’d like to talk to you. I don’t even know what to say or where to start, I just…
-  Hi! My name’s Paul. You may leave this bench with more questions than answers, you know… But then, questions are often more important than answers...
« Quand on écrit, faut-il tout écrire ? Quand on peint, faut-il tout peindre ? De grâce, laissez quelque chose à suppléer par mon imagination ! » Denis Diderot

Écrivez-nous :
Ou retrouvez-nous sur les réseaux sociaux :
Les textes postés sur le forum sont publiés sous licence Creative Commons BY-NC-ND. Merci de la respecter :)

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Manuscript © Blocweb

Page générée en 0.029 secondes avec 22 requêtes.